When looking for a right attorney, it is very important to consider few important credentials, as these aspects can make or mar the prospects of obtaining adequate compensation. The following are things you need to consider while choosing an attorney:
• Professionally qualified: The attorney should be professionally qualified by clearing examinations such as a multi-state performance test. Since, this test is conducted only in certain states; the attorney should have any other eligibility qualifications that are specific to the respective state authorities.
• Valid license holder: Though professionally qualified, each lawyer should have a license to practice law with the bar association of the concerned state. For example, if a lawyer wants to start his practice in Florida, he must be a member of The Florida Bar. To check the eligibility of the lawyer, you can visit the website of the state's bar association, enter lawyer's name and find whether he or she is a valid license holder.
• Expertise, experience and repute: Choosing experienced workplace injury lawyers is a wise decision, as only such people have knowledge on how to handle workplace injury cases. Ask attorneys about how many cases they have handled so far. The attorney should be able to judge the enormity of your case, the commensurate compensation and approach it accordingly. Find out how reputed your attorney is. Ask questions regarding the time period required for the settlement of the case and see if he or she clarifies your doubts.
• Consistent track record: Whenever you are approaching an attorney, make sure that he or she has a long and consistent record of documented success. Ask them to provide referrals of several workers they have successfully represented. This helps you to get a basic idea about the capabilities of the attorney.
• Ability to handle any kind of claim: By verifying the track record and by knowing the claims the attorney dealt with, you can easily learn of their competence. This gives you the confidence that the attorney is able to handle any kind of claim. Especially in tricky situations, for instance, an injury that you suffered at workplace had subsequently worsened your already existing abnormality, making you physically incapable of delivering duty. In such cases, the attorney has to show and convince that your present condition is a major consequence of the injury at workplace.
• Realistic contingency fees: Finally, choose an attorney who has a realistic fee settled compared to the compensation awarded. If a major portion of your compensation is going towards attorney’s fee, it will leave you in financial troubles.
Good attorneys ask for the pay only if the case is won. It would be preferable to only consider such attorneys.
Above all, the attorney handling your case should have the competence to make the authorities (employers or insurers) pay the accurate amount of compensation.
Workplace injuries have their origin in employers' light-hearted attitude towards safety norms. This must be shown by your attorney so that you are entitled for justifiable compensation. So, in order to handle this in a right way, it is essential to choose an attorney from a reputed law firm.
Article Source: https://www.bharatbhasha.com
Article Url: https://www.bharatbhasha.com/legal.php/397302
Article Added on Friday, December 14, 2012
|Legal >> Top 50 Articles on Legal|
|Category - >|