At one point, a patio door was not a very secure entryway and easily accessible from the outside. Over time improvements have been made so now this is not as great an issue as it previously had been. There is also another issue of safety because the door, being a solid sheet of glass, is often seen as being open when it is actually not. To help remedy possible injuries, safety glass is now used to prevent people, especially children, from running headlong into the closed doors and getting severe lacerations.
When it comes to being energy efficient, patio doors perform very well. They are made with a series of brushes and seals which adhere to very stringent building code regulations. Producing the vinyl for door and window frames requires three times less energy to produce than manufacturing aluminum, thus making this product not only more cost effective, but also environmentally /energy friendly. To put this in perspective, it saves enough energy to heat almost 20, 000 single swelling family homes a year.
Most patio doors are made from vinyl or metal frames. The vinyl frames are made with up to 80% vinyl resin and then the remaining 20 % can be made up from various additives such as stabilizers to help prevent cracking and peeling. Pigments are also added to add the desired color as well to help create UV protection. Other additives help in preventing damage done during the shipping process.
Once the vinyl compound has been made, the chemical additives are locked in. Then, the resulting material is softened and forced through a die creating the unique shape that will eventually become the frame. These extruded pieces are shipped on pallets to the window / door fabricator where they are cut to the specified lengths and dimensions required to make the patio door.
After machines have cut the components to be assembled, the frames are often fusion welded together to form air tight and water tight seals at the corners. The installation of locks, keepers, balances, weather stripping, and finally the glass, are completed and the process is sent to quality control where the work is checked for air tightness, water tightness, and for any possible damages done to the frame or glass during assembly.
The use of vinyl frames for your patio door and windows helps your glass door maintain an even temperature so that there are limited condensation and humidity differences in the home. The quality of the air in the household is also greatly improved because glass doors mean less electricity is needed to heat and light the house. Lastly, an additional environmental bonus is the elimination of paint, stains, strippers, thinners which are not needed to maintain the patio doors appearance and function; saving the environment from harmful odors, chemical disposal, as well as leaving the home owner with free time to enjoy the view.
Patio doors are a great addition to any home and they can even increase the value of the home.
Article Source: https://www.bharatbhasha.com
Article Url: https://www.bharatbhasha.com/home_improvement.php/153080
Article Added on Sunday, August 9, 2009
|home improvement >> Top 50 Articles on Home Improvement|
|Category - >|