Sinus headaches are often experienced by people who suffer sinusitis or inflamed sinus. It is prone to be experienced by people with:
Asthma or hay fever history
Nasal augmentation (nodules) - these are small grape-sized polyps found on top of the nose. This condition leads to a narrower nasal cavity thus forming mucous.
Mold, pollen, smoke, and dust mite allergies
A frail immune system or immunity problems
A state that affects the way mucus moves inside the upper respiratory system, like cystic fibrosis.
Ear/ tooth/ tonsil infections
Facial injuries that affect sinuses like nose deformities
Alterations or changes in temperature like swimming or climbing in elevated altitudes
If the patient is not sure whether he/she has a sinus headache, The best way is to consult a physician. The following procedures are performed:
Physical examination which includes checking on nasal discharge and congestion.
X ray tests or transillumination thru nasal endoscopy (light shining in to the sinuses)
Natural remedies for sinus headache include:
Cold towel compress in forehead area or alternate with hot compress and hot footbath
Eating spicy foods like Cajun recipes
The use of Chinese herbals like Magnolia flower, angelica, mint and chrysanthemum
Air moisturizers like steam vaporizers
Light head and neck exercises
Relaxation techniques and get enough rest or sleep
The use of saline nasal spray to loosen mucous
Acupressure techniques on the nostril sides
Aromatherapy or the use of essential oils. This procedure involves mixture of aromatic oil and carrier oils. These oils can be use as massage oils, bath oils or can be placed in cotton balls as inhalators. The following are list of essential oils:
- Lavender oil - is the safest and gentlest oil.
- Peppermint oil works best on sinus headaches. It is effectively used for chest and neck massage. It is refreshing and can be used at daytime.
- Oregano oil is an anti fungal and anti bacterial oil used for sinus treatments.
- Eucalyptus oil is the most versatile oil and very effective for respiratory infection treatments.
- Tea tree oil is an antifungal, healing oil used for sinus relief.
- Ginger oil is a mint oil.
- Wintergreen oil has methyl salicylate great for massages.
- Marjoram oil is helps alleviate sinus headaches.
- Thyme oil is another essential oil used mostly in aromatherapy healing bath
- Rosemary oil is another incensier and essential oil for sinus relief
This is part of traditional Chinese medicine. It involves inserting metal needles at the pain area thru hands or electric signals. This aims to stabilize serotonin and release endorphin. Some acupuncturists also perform moxibustion. This includes the use of burnt herb mugwort.
Well trained chiropractic alleviates pain to improve sinus drainage. There are no existing studies conducted however some people are already practicing it.
Mind and Body Techniques
This includes yoga, meditation and biofeedback exercises. Some of the popular techniques are the Pranayama and Yoga Asanas. This is a combination of the physical movements and breathing exercises of the Yoga practice.
The use of fast, easy and convenient ready made all natural tablets. Some popular products are sinus busters and boiron.
Article Source: https://www.bharatbhasha.com
Article Url: https://www.bharatbhasha.com/health.php/106983
Article Added on Tuesday, November 25, 2008
|fitness >> Top 50 Articles on fitness|
|Category - >|