The qualified and experienced team at Behavior Pioneers highlights the basics of in-home ABA therapy Dallas, TX, and shares snippets of academic research that supports this highly effective intervention for treating children or adults with Autism.
What is ABA Therapy?
ABA focuses on teaching verbal, social, motor, and reasoning skills to people with Autism, who may not otherwise develop these skills in the manner in which typically developing individuals do.
ABA methods involve positive reinforcement techniques that support individuals with ASD in a number of ways:
- Enhance On-task Behaviors or Social Interactions: By teaching new life skills, social skills or communication skills.
- Maintain Consistency of Positive Behaviors: By teaching self-control or self-monitoring techniques that help the child or adult generalize the behaviors for accomplishing specific tasks. (For example, job-related or academics-related).
- Reduce Interfering Behaviors: By creating a modified learning environment that helps the individuals in identifying and restricting the actions that cause interfering behaviors (e.g., disruption, self-injury, etc.) and replace them with more socially functional behaviors.
Several interventions, techniques, or programs apply the principles of ABA. Functional Communication Training (FCT), Pivotal Response Training (PRT), Discrete Trial Training (DTT), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), and Early Intensive Behavioral Interventions (EIBI) are just a few of the many interventions based on the ABA approach.
Origin of ABA Therapy
The earliest documented uses of ABA occurred around 1959, and the field has quickly grown since then. One of the most prominent studies was done in 1987 by Dr. Ole Ivar Lovaas, also known as the grandfather of ABA. Dr. Lovaas worked with non-verbal, institutionalized children to improve social interactions and reduce disruptive behaviors. His extensive work in ABA1, through early intervention and intensive behavioral therapy, led to 47% of the testing group successfully caught up to their peers and lost their Autism diagnosis.
Effectiveness of ABA Therapy
In the last 40 years, experts have conducted thousands of scientific studies and academic research to study the effectiveness of ABA principles in helping individuals with Autism. In fact, several studies further review the collective publications through this period and have offered similar findings about the efficacy of ABA therapy interventions:
- Hagopian and Boelter study (2005)2 concludes that ABA-based procedures have been successful in reducing problem behaviors and increasing several life skills for individuals with Autism or related disorders.
- Reichow B. et al study (2012)3 indicates that using an ABA approach from prior to age 4 and for more than 20 hours per week can significantly improve development of individuals with ASD, thereby reducing the need for special services.
- A subsequent study by Eldevik et all (2019)4 on community implementation of Early Intensive Behavioral Interventions concludes that higher intensity of therapy gives better outcomes.
- Other meta-analyses and research on the published studies find empirical evidence about the efficacy of ABA therapy in Fort Worth, TX. They conclude that treatments based on behavior conditioning and modification (operant principles of learning) are highly effective in assessing and reducing the challenging behaviors in individuals with Autism or related disorders.
- There is also plenty of research to support the use of ABA-based approaches in educating children with Autism. The Web S. J. study (2012)5 correlated the use of EIBI with normalized brain activity in young children with Autism.
About Behavior Pioneers
Behavior Pioneers, LLC specializes in behavior therapy and Autism services throughout Dallas, TX and Fort Worth, TX. They offer center-based and in-home ABA therapy for individuals (all ages) diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Their Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBA) use the principles of ABA therapy and prepare tailor-made behavior intervention plans that cater to individualized goals and needs. Their Registered Behavior Technicians (RBT) work closely with the child or adult to reduce challenging behaviors and build skills for improved functioning and independence. Besides ABA therapy certifications, their highly-trained professionals have Masterâ€™s degrees in Child Development, Early Childhood Disorders, Educational Psychology, and Low Incidence Disabilities and Autism. They focus on decreasing aggression, tantrums, self-stimulatory behaviors, and non-compliance, and increasing communication, social skills, safety, eye-contact, and on-task instructions.
For more information on ABA therapy, get in touch with the behavior specialists at Behavior Pioneers. Call 877-725-8397 or connect online. You can also visit one of their Autism Service Centers near you.
Article Source: https://www.bharatbhasha.com
Article Url: https://www.bharatbhasha.com/finance-and-business.php/495316
Article Added on Thursday, July 30, 2020
|Business And Finance >> Top 50 Articles on Business And Finance|
|Category - >|