Free Articles  >>  Business And Finance >>  Page 3249  >> 

Small Business Tax Tips I Received Form 1099 MISC Now What

? Did you receive a Form 1099-MISC and aren't sure what it means and/or what to do with it? This article will answer that question. Form 1099-MISC is one of the most common tax forms in the world of the self-employed. And it's most common use is to report income made by sole proprietors who have performed services for other businesses. By "sole proprietor" I'm referring to self-employed people such as independent contractors, consultants or free-lancers who are in business for themselves but do not run their business as a corporation, partnership or multi-owner limited liability company.

If you fit that description of a self-employed person and performed services for another business, and that business paid you at least $600 during the year, the other business is required to send you a Form 1099-MISC by January 31 of the following year. The January 31, 2009 due date happens to fall on a Saturday, so the deadline for issuing 2008 1099's is automatically extended to the next business day of Monday, February 2, 2009. So you may have already received a Form 1099-MISC for 2008. If not, you could still get one soon.

If and when you get the 1099, take a look at Box 7, "Nonemployee compensation." This is the place on the form that your annual income from this other business will be reported. And this is the income that you must be sure to include on your Schedule C, because not only did you receive that 1099, but so did the IRS. In effect, then, the 1099-MISC serves the same function for the self-employed as a W-2 does for the employee - it tells you and the IRS how much income you made from one particular source.

Now that you know the basic purpose of the 1099-MISC, you probably have some questions, such as:

1. What do I do if I don't receive a 1099 from a business, when I know I performed services and received over $600 for the year? Whether or not you received a 1099, you are required to report all income.

2. What do I do if I don't receive a 1099 because I made less than $600? Sorry to sound like a broken record, but you are required to report any income you made, whether or not you received a 1099. Even if you made less than $600, just because you didn't get a 1099 does not excuse you from reporting the income.

Not getting a 1099 does not mean you don't have to report the income. If you made it, you're supposed to report it on your Schedule C. That's the law. And if you don't report all your income, you are part of the underground economy. (Shame on you!)

3. What do I do if the amount of income reported on the 1099 is incorrect? You should contact the business who issued the 1099 to resolved the discrepancy. If they made a mistake, they must issue a corrected 1099 to both you and the IRS. To be safe, you should wait until you receive the corrected 1099 before filing your tax return. You want to be sure that the 1099 amount agrees with your Schedule C income amount. If there is a difference between the total income on all your 1099's and the amount of income on your Schedule C, the IRS will eventually catch it and send you a letter demanding an explanation. Not good.

4. What do I do if I receive a 1099 after I filed my return? If you included the 1099 income on your return, do nothing, because you did report the income and there should be no problem. But if you didn't report the 1099 income on your return, you must amend your return to include the previously unreported income. This will result in additional tax you must pay, plus the possibility of late payment penalties and interest, depending on how much additional tax you owe and whether you pay it late.

About Author Wayne M Davies :

Looking for more small business tax tips? For a free copy of the 25-page Special Report "How To Instantly Double Your Deductions", visit <a href="" target="_blank"></a> . Wayne M. Davies is author of 3 ebooks on tax reduction strategies for small business owners and the self-employed.

Article Source:
Article Url:

Article Added on Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Other Articles by Wayne M Davies

Small Business Tax Tips I Forgot To Send Out 1099 s By January 31 What Do I Do Now
Are you a small business owner who hires independent contractors? If so, you may be required by the IRS to send out a Form 1099-MISC to those people. This article will help you determine your obligation to issue those 1099's. The basic rule works like this: Form 1099-MISC is used to report total annual payments made to self-employed people who received at least $600 for services rendered during the previous calendar year. This 1099 must be given or mailed to the contractor by January 31 of the...

Small Business Tax Forms Who Should Receive Form 1099 MISC By January 31
? Virtually every tax rule has a potentially long list of exceptions, limitations and otherwise mind-boggling list of finer points. Such is the case with the Form 1099-MISC reporting requirements. Ask a simple question: To whom am I required to send a Form 1099-MISC? Get a simple answer: Read the IRS 8-page document entitled Instructions for Form 1099-MISC and watch your head spin. What's a small business owner to do? The purpose of this article is to give you an introduction to the wild and...

Am I Required To File Form 1099 MISC
If you're a small business owner or self-employed person, you are probably well aware of the annual requirement to file an income tax return. In addition, if you made certain payments to other sole proprietors in the course of your business, you may also be required to file information returns to the IRS. Read on to find out if this reporting responsibility applies to you. The most common information return is known as Form 1099-MISC. This form must be given to each person to whom you paid...

What Is the Difference Between a W 2 and a 1099 MISC
If you own a business and are paying people who perform services for you, it is critical that you understand the difference between Form W-2 and Form 1099-MISC. Form W-2 is issued to employees at the end of the year. You must give each employee this form by January 31 of the following year. It contains critical payroll information that each employee needs to file his/her personal income tax return, such as gross wages, salaries and other forms of compensation; federal income tax withholdings;...

Small Business Tax Tips Are You Ready For The January 31 Deadline
? April 15 is not the only critical tax deadline. If you are a small business owner with employees or independent contractors, January 31 is an important tax deadline you cannot afford to ignore. The end of January is the due date for several payroll-related tax forms and tax payments. Before reviewing them, here's some good news. Whenever a federal tax deadline falls on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the due date is automatically moved to the next business day. Since January 31, 2009...

Small Business Taxes How To Keep The IRS Off Your Back And Out Of Your Life In 2011
Sorry to crash your party, but as we bring in the New Year, it's also time to bring in a new tax season. As a small business owner or self-employed person, one of the easiest ways to keep Uncle Sam off your back and out of your life is to file your forms, payments and other paperwork on time. Over the next four months there are several key dates you dare not forget. Here they are -- all in one place. NOTE: This article only addresses federal tax deadlines. Be sure to contact your state's tax...

Schedule C Tax Deductions A Is for Accountants Attorneys Advertising
If you're a sole proprietor, here's the lowdown on three small business tax deductions you can report on Schedule C. They all start with the letter A. 1. Accountants. The fees you pay your accountant are generally tax-deductible on Schedule C, provided the fees are for services rendered on behalf of your business. So, if you pay an accountant to prepare your income tax return, that tax prep fee is deductible to the extent it applies to the forms required for your sole proprietorship, such as...

Small Business Tax Questions Are You Required To Pay Employment Taxes
If you own a small business, do you have to pay employment taxes on compensation paid to your workers? Read on to find out. The short answer to this question is, of course, it depends. It depends on whether your workers are employees or independent contractors. Here's the general rule: if you hire employees, you must withhold and/or pay employment taxes on wages, salaries, commissions, bonuses and any other form of compensation for services rendered. And if you hire independent contractors,...

Small Business Tax Questions Can Your Business Account Be Used To Pay Personal Expenses
Do you ever use your business bank account to pay personal expenses? Perhaps you've got some bills due tomorrow and to save time, you pay the mortgage or the electric bill right from the business account. Is that OK? This article will answer that question. Like many tax questions, the answer is It depends. It depends on what kind of legal entity you own. If you are a sole proprietor, as far as the IRS is concerned, it doesn't really matter whether you pay personal expenses out of the business...

Schedule C Tax Deductions C is For Contributions Contractors Commissions
Here are three legitimate tax deductions for the self-employed that begin with the letter C. Do you have these expenses in your sole proprietorship? If so, be sure to report them on your tax return. 1. Contributions. By contributions, I'm referring to charitable contributions - donations you make to tax-exempt organizations (known in tax lingo as 501c3 organizations) such as churches, synagogues and other humanitarian or educational institutions that have IRS non-profit status. This is one...

Click here to see More Articles by Wayne M Davies
Publishers / Webmasters
Article ID: 134538
DELINK URL from Authors Bio
REMOVE Article
Tell A Friend
Leave A Comment!
Download this article in PDF
Report Article!
Search through all the articles:

216 Users Online!!
Related Articles:
Latest Articles:
Business And Finance >> Top 50 Articles on Business And Finance
Category - >
Advertising Advice Affiliate Programs Automobiles
Be Your Own Mentor Careers Communication Consumers
CopyWriting Crime Domain Names DoT com Entrepreneur Corner
Ebooks Ecommerce Education Email
Entertainment Environment Family Finance And Business
Food & Drink Gardening Health & Fitness Hobbies
Home Business Home Improvement Humour House Holds
Internet And Computers Kiddos and Teens Legal Matters Mail Order
Management Marketing Marriage MetaPhysical
Motivational MultiMedia Multi Level Marketing NewsLetters
Pets Psychology Religion Parenting
Politics Sales Science Search Engine Optimization
Site Promotion Sports Technology Travel
Web Development Web Hosting WeightLoss Women's Corner
Writing Miscellaneous Articles Real Estate Arts And Crafts

Disclaimer: The information presented and opinions expressed in the articles are those of the authors
and do not necessarily represent the views of and/or its owners.

Copyright AwareINDIA. All rights reserved || Privacy Policy || Terms Of Use || Author Guidelines || Free Articles
FAQs Link To Us || Submit An Article || Free Downloads|| Contact Us || Site Map  || Advertise with Us ||
Click here for Special webhosting packages for visitors of this website only!
Vastu Shastra

Personal eMail Hosting Provided By AwareIndia

Company IDS