Tutoring services is becoming popular all around the world. Because of the demands, there are a lot of companies now offering in-house tutorial services and even the Internet has online tutoring. But the most common is the private tutoring normally conducted at the house of the student. Tutoring is basically a one-on-one process of teaching. It can be conducted with a small group, as well.
This service is required when a student has difficulties coping up with the lessons in school or with a particular subject. Mostly, the elite and middle class families are the majority of clients for private tutoring services. But, in an effort to make private tutorial services available to families who are economically weak, an educational reform act under President Bush’s No Child Left Behind was made to address this need.
Tutoring service provides many benefits and these covers the following:
• It helps students with disabilities like autism, Down syndrome, visually impaired, deaf and mute, as well as mentally ill to learn their subject or acquire skills.
• Assists students who have very poor academic performance.
• It can help those who have excellent academic performance to be more advanced and remain challenged.
• Tutoring aids learners attain high scores during examinations.
• It facilitates students in preparing for different standardized
college admission tests including the SAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, TOFEL, etc.
Parents who decide to avail of tutoring service for their children should consider some weighty matters before hiring a tutor or availing of a tutorial company’s services. They should inquire from the company about the kind of teaching process that will be implemented for their child. Parents ought to also to find out which works better for the child - a one on one teaching system with individualized curriculum or a small group tutorial with pre-established curriculum.
They also need to inquire from the tutoring service company whether they will provide a professionally trained tutor or a novice tutor. Based on conducted studies, many tutors do not have sufficient training or education in the particular subjects that they are teaching. Also, most of the tutoring methods are just assignment based instruction. Assignment based tutoring only provides assistance on homework given by subject teachers at school.
A highly skilled tutor will perform strategic tutoring as well as individualized system in teaching. This system of tutoring does not only deliver assistance on learning assignments, quizzes, and tests but will also guide students learn the comprehensive techniques needed to master their particular subject(s). This system is far better compared to assignment tutoring method.
Oftentimes, the methods and systems used by highly competent tutors show much greater results in just a matter of weeks. Although, the outcome still depends on the capability and understanding of the student himself. While it is true that tutoring can provide countless benefits for the student, a big part of the tutoring success depends on the learner. No matter how good the tutor is if the student does not cooperate, the tutorial is doomed to fail. Thus, it is of essence that parents encourage their children to attend school classes and tutorial sessions regularly. These two must be considerably combined and done well in order to be effective.
It is vital to ask for the qualifications of the tutor prior to hiring them for your children. It is a must that parents investigate the credentials and character of the tutor because it takes certain attitudes in order to be a very good tutor. You will get to know of the characteristics of the tutor by observing him or her during tutorial sessions.
Below are some of the characteristics of a good tutor.
• Must have a positive outlook.
• Must have the desire to help others in the best way possible.
• She/He must be sensitive to what others feel.
• A good tutor must have patience, care, understanding, and fair judgment.
• A good tutor must be open minded as well as must know how to listen and respect the point of view of others.
• Must have the ability to see what is to be done and determine what must be done about it.
• Must be always on time and professional.
• Must be organized.
Article Source: https://www.bharatbhasha.com
Article Url: https://www.bharatbhasha.com/education.php/99300
Article Added on Tuesday, October 7, 2008
|Education >> Top 50 Articles on Education|
|Category - >|