Other reasons might be that you need a larger vehicle for your vacation or visit, or that an SUV or 4x4 would be more appropriate for your use than your old Taurus.
The United States of America is a very large country, and if you want to make the best of a visit then hiring a car is one of the preferred ways to go about it. You can stop anywhere you wish, and visit any of the fabulous tourist areas the USA has to offer. The USA has just about everything for anybody, whether you like the shows of Broadway, the excitement of Las Vegas or the peace and tranquility of the Arizona and Nevada deserts.
You will find some of the best golf courses in the world, here, from Atlanta to Ohio, and USA car rental will give the freedom you need, away from buses and train timetables. There are certainly many advantanges of USA car rental, but there are also some disadvantages if you are not aware of USA federal and state law: not just federal law, but also the driving laws of each individual state you pass through.
Here are some tips on hiring a car in the USA and keeping on the right side of the state troopers.
1. Evaluate what is offered by each of the USA car rental options you have and then choose using as your main criteria the price, size of vehicle and also its availability, and also take service into consideration although that may be irrelevant once you are on the road. You can avoid an airport surcharge by hiring privately from a non-airport location. If you hire at an airport you are charged extra for the privilege.
You are liable to get lower prices offered by some of the smaller car hire companies in America, and they can also offer you excellent service: Avis and Hertz tend to cost more than others, but at least with them you can expect good quality and service. Nevertless, small firms often provide better service. Whichever you choose, book your car well in advance of your visit.
2. It is essential that everybody expected to drive is stated on the form. It will certainly cost more, although you would be liable personally for any damage done to either party in the case of an accident if the driver had not been nominated because your insurance would be void.
3. Make sure that you give the vehicle a thorough check-over for damage. Make sure there are no scratches or dents, and if you find anything then it gets noted on the form. Otherwise you could be charged for existing damage.
4. If you have the option of prepay or self-fuelling, check out their gas prices. It could be more economical for you to buy your own gas.
5. Unlike the UK and most of Europe, most car hire companies in the USA do not include insurance in the standard car hire rate, and you have to negotiate that separately. Be sure that you understand what you have to do if you are involved in an accident. You might need a police report, there may be a time limit for reporting the accident to the hire or insurance firm and you may have to use nominated garages for repairs.
6. This should likey have been the first advice given! If you are from outside the USA, make sure you know the local driving laws. USA car rental is allowed only if you are at least 21 years of age - or 18 in New York. You will find, however, that when you hire a car in the USA, you will likely have to be at least 23, and even have to pay a surcharge if you are under 25 - this applies to all nominated drivers. So, if you are 27 and your spouse is 24, you might have to pay a surcharge to have you both named as drivers.
7. Check whether or not you can drop the car off elsewhere than where you picked it up. You might want to drive from Chicago to L.A., along the famous Route 66, but you might be less keen to drive back the way from L.A. to Chicago!
USA car rental is extremely popular, and renting a car in America offers many advantages, especially if you are driving long distances. While many visitors from abroad rent vehicles while on holiday in the USA, many American citizens also do so because their regular car is not large enough for the entire family together with camping gear, luggage and everything else needed for a two-week vacation.
Some will hire a Winnebago and others just a larger saloon that they own themselves. Nevertheless, whatever your reason for hiring a car in the USA, you will be almost certain to have a great time if you take note of the above advice and be sure of the law and your rights with respect to USA car rental.
Article Source: https://www.bharatbhasha.com
Article Url: https://www.bharatbhasha.com/automobiles.php/260064
Article Added on Monday, September 6, 2010
|Auto >> Top 50 Articles on Auto|
|Category - >|